Using a bong to consume medical marijuana each day for an ailment can get messy quickly! Things like bacteria and dirt may accumulate in the bong, making it difficult to keep clean. The residue left after using a bong may not be good for your health. Therefore, not cleaning it is not an option.
With more states passing laws to legalize marijuana for adult use, and bong use becoming more prevalent, the maintenance of the bong remains a primary concern. Medical marijuana doctors also recommend patients regularly clean their bong to ensure it is free from bacteria and dirt.
Just as you discuss which type of medical marijuana will be best for you between an indica, sativa, or hybrid strain with your marijuana doctor, discussing ways to clean your bong or method of choice to consume medical marijuana is also essential.
Here are a few ways that can help when cleaning your bong.
Things Required to Clean Your Bong
It might appear like a difficult task, but don’t be intimidated! It can be very easy. All medical marijuana doctors in Florida ask patients to clean their bong after every few days. Some signs that your bong may need cleaning include the appearance of resin build-up, slimy film, or stinky water.
Here’s what you will need to clean the bong:
- Rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
- Hand towels
- Bong plugs
- Two zipper storage bags
How to Clean Your Bong?
- Take the bong downstem and bowl and place them in the zipper bags. You need to clean them thoroughly without causing any damage, and keeping them in separate bags does the trick.
- A mixture of salt and isopropyl alcohol works best to clean the bong, and sometimes even better than a bong-specific cleaning solution, according to experts. Add the mixture in the two bags until the downstem and bowl are completely submerged in the solution.
- Pour out the old water in the bong into the sink to start its cleaning. Note that changing the water regularly can save the bong from frequent resin build-up and ensure its cleanliness.
- Add the salt and alcohol mixture to the bong. Add enough of the solution so that the bong bottom is completely covered. Let it soak in there for some time.
- Cover the bong mouthpiece and downstem area with the help of ‘bong plugs.’ They are readily available everywhere and easy to order from an online store. Make sure the plugs fit the opening.
- Once covered, shake the bong to remove the resin buildup. Do the same with the downstem and bowl in zipper bags.
- Pour out the alcohol and salt mixture out of the bong and zipper bags when the resin is removed.
- Fill the bong with hot water and shake lightly to remove any remaining resin. Repeat the same with the downstem and bowl.
- Clean the bong with a clean hand towel and let it dry.
Note: When you’re reassembling the bong, make sure there are no alcohol traces on the material. To ensure this, rinse the bong with hot water at least 2-3 times to ensure it is fully cleansed. You can also use cotton swabs or pipe cleaners to ensure removal from the bong areas that are hard to reach.
Bong cleaning is an unavoidable task, but you can reduce the burden by taking some preventive measures. If you don’t like cleaning your bong regularly, then these preventive measures can help you in the process. Here’s what you can do to save yourself from frequent bong cleaning:
- Adding a few drops of lemon juice to the water while you smoke your medical marijuana.
- Don’t store your bong with water in it, as it can pile up resin. Always empty the bong after each use.
- Using lemon juice and vinegar solution to remove the hard water stains from the bong.
The Bottom Line
With the increase in usage of medical marijuana, it’s more than essential that people are aware of their device’s cleaning criteria as well because unsanitary practices may lead to poor health or adverse effects. Have you received your Florida medical marijuana card? Check now to see if you qualify for a Florida medical marijuana card by filling out our questionnaire. If you qualify, MMJ Health can help you with professional and knowledgeable Medical Marijuana doctors that can create a treatment plan that works for your lifestyle. Fill out our fast and easy form to see if you qualify today!